Friday, July 5, 2013

'Don Juan...' revisited

David Hepworth tweeted today that he was putting on Joni Mitchell's "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" to work to "and will try to imagine how thrilled I'd be if it was her new one".

So as part of an effort to begin blogging again, I am pointing you to the piece I did last year on this album (part of a series I did on Joni's mid 70s recordings). Here's a taster:

In the middle of Paprika Plains we enter the world of Carlos Castaneda's Native American Don Juan, the peyote shaman in his dream state. Mitchell said of the composition: "The improvisational, the spontaneous aspect of this creative process is to set words to the music, which is a hammer and chisel process. Sometimes it flows, but a lot of times it's blocked by concept. And if you're writing free consciousness - which I do once in a while just to remind myself that I can, you know, because I'm fitting little pieces of this puzzle together - the end result must flow as if it was spoken for the first time."

and here's the whole thing: http://bangnzdrum.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/joni-mitchell-in-1970s-4-don-juans.html

No comments:

Post a Comment