![]() |
| Green Gartside, a closet folkie |
White Bread Black Beer contains many songs that are right up there with his best. The album got some very positive reviews at the time and was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize. There was hope that further releases would follow.
Green obviously had a store of great songs still to release, because he played quite a few of them at a gig in Kilburn in December 2007.
![]() |
| Pretty Green, 1980s |
But since then, there have been only two
new Scritti songs released, on the 2011 Absolute Scritti Politti compilation.
The new tracks, A Day Late and a Dollar Short and A Place We Both Belong were
written with Cupid & Psyche collaborator David Gamson.
Green admits to finding it hard to finish songs, so fans just have to wait patiently to hear what’s next from the sweet-voiced Mr. Gartside.
The good news this week is that there is new music on the way. Green, it seems, is harking back to his time as a hardcore folkie in the 1970s.
He's releasing a solo 7" single on Friday June 19th, featuring two songs composed by the reclusive folk singer Anne Briggs, Tangled Man and Wishing Well.
![]() |
| Anne Briggs, a shadowy yet influential part of English folk |
Musically, it wouldn't be totally inaccurate to describe her as a female Nick Drake, with a touch of Bert Jansch vocally. Wishing Well was a co-write with Jansch.
This is them performing Black Waterside, the tune that inspired Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page. And here's a link to Anne's version of Tangled Man.
Green's explanation for his new folk direction appeared on this Twitter post:

I can honestly say I love just about everything Scritti have ever done. I thought The Sweetest Girl should have been a massive hit in the early 80s. I can still remember the thrill of hearing Wood Beez for the first time on Anne Nightingale’s Sunday night show in 1984. I bought all the singles on 12". The follow up album, Provision, refined the syncopated funk sound and contained the hit single Oh Patti, featuring a solo by Miles Davis.
You can buy Green's new songs at Rough Trade: roughtrade.com/gb/green-garts
I also filmed them playing 'Robin Hood' from the White Bread Black Beer album and a special treat for the encore 'Merry Christmas Baby'
2026 UPDATE: I am going to see Scritti Politti playing live later this month (July). First time seeing them since that gig in 2007. Can't wait.



No comments:
Post a Comment